Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Moments... my take on Dyan Reaveley new products


My take on Dyan's journal page....

I love to be inspired from others- be it family, friends, magazines, pinterest, designers such as Tim Holtz and today I watched this video - Scrap Time - Ep. 734 - Dyan Reaveley new Dylusions products! Dyan is a new designer for Ranger products. When I first come across a new technique or product, I am tempted to buy everything to achieve that same look. Then, I step back and remember that my studio is full of wonderful paper, stamps, inks, watercolors, acrylics, distress stains, adhesives, embellishments, ribbons--ooh how I love to make do with what I have until I find that what I have won't do....So with that said (or written), I would love to share with you my take on Dyan's journal page. She definitely has some very innovative products that I would like to try but for today
I wanted to see where I could go with her idea... So here's how I created a similar look....(I forgot to take pictures along the way but there are some close ups...)

Products I used...
*Watercolor paper *watercolors in the tube not palette
*mini misters *water
* stencils *Stazon
*various inks shades of white *texture magic/palette knife
*butterfly stamps *Birdhouse stamp
*background/word stamps *heat gun
*Adhesive *paper towels
*embellishments *Diecutting machine ( I used my Big Shot)
*sewing machine and thread




To begin...
1. Fill mini misters 3/4 full of water and then add 1 -2 "drops" (this comes out like acrylic) of your choice of watercolors. I used 3 - a salmon, a yellow (mixed with perfect pearls)** and a blue-which I made a very soft shade by adding a small amount of watercolor.
2. Spritz your watercolor misters onto watercolor paper (wc). Using paper towels, blot the excess paint. Save the paper towels for later use (embellishments). Using heat tool, dry paper.
3. To stencil, use a stencil brush with stazon or archival black ink. Then randomly stencil dots onto your wc paper.
4. For gesso, I used Texture magic - a dimensional medium that I love. Also, my gesso was old and had dried a bit--guess I just found something I need:). With palette knife and texture magic, drag the texture magic over the stencil and quickly lift up the stencil. If you do a thinner coat, you can dry it by using the heat tool.

close up of the texture magic..

5. Stamp images and word stamp around the page. I chose butterflies and "moments".
6. With an unmounted swirl stamp and a wheat colored ink, roll with your hand (do not mount on an acrylic block) the swirl stamp for the soft effect of a background. When you roll the stamp, you truly create a background. Make sure the background stamp does not have hard corners as this will create a finite image as opposed to a soft, shaded background.
7. On a separate piece of cardstock stamp birdhouse. Using the mini mister (salmon), spritz image and cut around outline leaving a little edging. Heat set and then adhere to page. you may add stickles to the image for a glistening.
8. Add a clock face and a ribbon or the embellishment of your choice.

close up of birdhouse and texture magic


9. For butterfly embellishments, using die cut machine and butterfly die, layer the paper towel that you used in the beginning and die cut. Keeping layers together, sew down the center of butterfly (if you do not want to sew, carefully glue the layers together with a small amount of adhesive).Repeat for second butterfly.

10. Adhere wc page to heavy chipboard or cardstock. I love to use file folders. The blue ones are my favorites!!
11. Then with ribbon, wrap around card and tie a 3 loop bow and then adhere metal butterfly and stamens. Sew paper towel butterflies to ribbon and then manipulate ribbon to your liking and adhere with glue stick.


I do hope you enjoyed this take on Dyan's journal page. I enjoyed stretching myself and seeing what can be done with what is in front of me. It was fun to play and to remember I don't always need the next thing out there. I have been blessed with much! But what I do need are moments-moments to enjoy what had been given to me- blessings of family, health, friends, home, daily living, art, my studio, music, food on my table, my garden, my animals, the ability to learn and grow, my walk with the Lord..my list could go on....For you, I hope you find moments in your days to see all the beauty the Lord has given us. Here's to many moments.... Until next time,

Blessings,

P.S. Remember when we reach 100 followers, everyone is entered in a drawing for a letter press kit. Tell your friends to come follow along- Thanks!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Chantal! Thank you for this post I needed to read this today. I am having a very bad case of the I wants and I want it now. But, I too have a room full of stuff , and you know what I have almost everything on the list that you used. So, thankyou for sharing, although I really want the dylusions stamps, and sprays, and stencils, but money is very tight so I am using what I have.
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete