Thursday, June 22, 2017

Mark My Words --Creating a 6 Strand Tassel Bookmark featuring SRM Devotional Stamps

Beautiful Words to hold the special places in the Word


Welcome to the DCC blog hop!  I am so glad you stopped by today for some inspiration. Be sure to check out all the other blogs in the hop for great ideas and inspiration as  we feature SRM and a few of their fantastic lines for scrapbooking and Bible journaling.  I had the pleasure of receiving a set of clear stamps entitled Daily Devotions from SRM. (Thank you SRM!!!)  It is filled with words of encouragement, affirmation, study and thought.  The words immediately brought to mind so many scriptures and beautiful hymns...His Grace is sufficient…You are a chosen people,... Seek and you shall find.. Abide with me…The steadfast Love of the Lord never ceases...Come let us adore him… and so much more.  So, I knew I had to use as many as I could!!!  They are so tiny, well-made and perfect for oh so many areas in our journaling and paper art life!!  


cutest little word with a big impact


Gathering words is a joy of mine as I have words throughout my home, my art and my jewelry... These words from the stamp collection truly speak to me. Whatever I created I wanted to be visual and that I could see not just on one page of my Bible but perhaps throughout. I remembered a bookmark that I had purchased for my daughter with different color ribbons almost like a tassel…this sparked my creativity and I set out to gather all the supplies, stamps and ribbon.  This bookmark can hold, not just one place but 6 different places. For me, I thought that it could hold verses that hold special meaning of the words I have chosen. To me, however, the most important ones will be dangling outside my Bible, with the words Choose Jesus.  Let’s get started creating our bookmark…



A close-up of the words


Let’s Gather…

-Muslin strips*- I found these as a beauty supply store. They are for brow waxing, so they come precut and very inexpensive-absolutely perfect!!!
-Small scraps of fabric
-Fabri-Tac by Beacon Adhesive or you could use your sewing machine
-Thin ribbon, in desired lengths
-StaZon Ink, Black
-Faith Stamp collection by SRM
-Acrylic Block for stamps
-Silver head pins (2)
-Glass beads (6)
-Silver Charm, Bird
-Scissors
-Round nose pliers


Let’s Create…

The words

           Place muslin strips on a paper pad.  Select words and place on an acrylic block (1 at a time).  Ink and practice on the paper pad, then stamp onto fabric.  Stamp the word 2 times leaving a space for the fold between each word.  Set aside



Stamped muslin strips

Trim word and using Fabri-Tac, adhere the words to the fabric scraps.  Set aside to dry.

Using small charm squares, its easy to fit two word strips
and then cut to size.

               Once dry, trim the fabric around, leaving a small border to show. 

Measuring to cut the fabric strips

Marked and ready to trim


The tassel




The bookmark on top of the Bible 


      Measure your Bible or the book that this bookmark will reside.  Add the desired length for the part that will dangle from the bottom and top of the book. 


In this photo, I have already attached the beads and the charm


       For a six stranded Bible, double the measurement from step 1. Cut 3 strips and fold in half; Cut one strip for “Choose Jesus” and cut one 8-12” piece of ribbon to secure the tassel.

      Lay the 3 strands on a flat surface and using the 4th strip, place that at the middle, wrapping under the 3 strands.  Grab all 6 strands, leaving the 4th to be the topper.  With the small piece of ribbon, wrap several times around the top of the 6 strands and tie with a knot. *Do not trim as this is where you bead dangles will go.  Set aside.

The Bead Dangles



The bird charm is slipped onto the shorter piece of ribbon, tied and then
the bead dangles are placed and knotted.


       On the silver head pin, thread 3 small glass beads.  Using round nose pliers, create a loop at the top and bring the wire around the head pin to secure.  Repeat with other head pin and beads.
      String the beaded head pins onto the smaller ribbon that tied the top of the tassel.

Putting it all together


1  Take one completed fabric strip and fold in half;



   Lay one strand of ribbon inside the center of the fold, with Fabri-Tac glue edges together.

Using Fabric-Tac to secure.


Folding in half; press to spread the glue.


All 6 words completed


      Set aside.  Repeat with all fabric word strips. 
·    **If using a sewing machine, use a pin to hold placement of the ribbon and sew the 3 edges of the folded fabric strip.  Repeat with all fabric word strips.



Words to live by



Here are a few of my favorite scriptures that hold a special place in my Bible as well as in my heart.

Philippians 4:7 – And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus

Proverbs 4:13- Hold on to instruction, do not let go; guard it well, for it is your life.  affirm

Proverbs 3:5 – Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;

Psalm 100:4 – Enter his gates with thanksgiving in my heart and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.

Philippians 4:8- Finally, ...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Hebrews 11:1- Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.


Until next time,   I hope you'll find the words that bring hope and healing, joy and love... and  then write or stamp them on your he{art}...


Chantal




10 comments:

  1. Fabulous project Chantal! Love everything you did with our Daily Devotion stamp. So creative! Thanks for making SRM's stamp look so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thank you so much!! I absolutely love your stamps and more so, your wonderful emphasis on faith and devotion!! It was my pleasure to be able to take part in this!!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love this project!! Great scripture passages,too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, Thank you so much! I hope you'll be able to create your bookmark as well...I would love to know some of your special scriptures, too!

      Delete
  3. wow, love this idea. thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chantal, Absolutely Wonderful. I love your project and my bible needs something just like this too! great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you liked it!! I Love that I can mark so many of my favorite scriptures!! I hope you enjoy making yours!!

    ReplyDelete